Lhadra 3lik Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeForum for SaleLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A 3rd- generation Moroccan to go to Oxford University

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Aziz Samih
Rank

City : London

A 3rd- generation Moroccan to go to Oxford University Empty
PostSubject: A 3rd- generation Moroccan to go to Oxford University   A 3rd- generation Moroccan to go to Oxford University Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 3:59 pm

A 3rd- generation Moroccan to go to Oxford University Small_11
Hesham, a 3rd- generation Moroccan, to go to Oxford University.
Read our exclusive interview with Hesham.
First of all, congratulations on this outstanding achievement.
Thank you.
As someone I regard as an inspiration for young Moroccans in the UK, I could not think of a better-suited person for this interview. I would, therefore, be very grateful if you could answer some questions I have prepared for you.
1. What was it like growing up in West London?
That is a tough question. Mozart estate is a contrast from the nearby Holland Park and Notting Hill. There are
obvious negatives such as the high crime rate as a result of on-the-loose children getting mixed up in the
increasing gang culture. However, it is nice living in a culturally diverse community, and having all my family living a few minutes away.
2. Which schools did you go to?
I went to St.Lukes primary school, an average if not below average Church of England school around 10 minutes walk from my house. As a result of my high SATS grades, I achieved in yr6 - which I owe to my dad for all the extra work he had done with me - I got accepted to a well-reputed high school in Ealing called Twyford.
3. How would you describe your education experience so far?
I have had a relatively positive educational experience to date. There have been the frequent ups and downs that
a teenager faces when going through the ranks at school; however, with determination and the will of Allah, I have managed to strive and achieve high grades.
4. Do you speak English or Arabic at home?
I speak mainly Arabic at home. I speak English all day at school so it’s nice to come home and speak in my
native language.
5. Did the fact of being bilingual hinder your learning of English?
The funny and ironic thing about this question is that I spoke Arabic before I spoke English! When I started nursery, I didn’t speak English at all and it was there that I learnt English. English is one of the subjects I have excelled in, achieving an ‘A’ grade in English language and an ‘A’ grade in English literature, and I am currently studying English literature at A-level.
6. What was it like receiving the offer to go to Oxford?
Being contacted by Oxford was a delightful surprise. I am yet to have my interview as I am currently undergoing
exams, Insha’Allah if I get the grades, Oxford is a possibility. The same for me as for anyone, being contacted by Oxford is extremely flattering and confirms my position as one of the country’s brightest individuals.
7. What do you intend to study at Oxford?
I hope to study Economics and Politics Insha’Allah, whether at Oxford or somewhere else as Cambridge and London school of Economics seem very attractive to me.
8. What are your future plans?
First and foremost, my main goal and duty is to be a devout Muslim. With the will and help of Allah (swt) and my
family, I hope to be at the forefront of British economics and politics. I have aspirations not only to be a successful entrepreneur, but to eventually run as a candidate and become an MP so I can make a difference in the community.
9. How much support did you get at home?
I get A LOT of support at home. My father has made sure that I have everything that I need, he has always
encouraged me to strive for success and I owe him a lot. Other family members have also played their part in making sure that I stay on the right path, meaning that I don’t get mixed up with people I shouldn’t and that I focus on my education.
10. Who is your role model?
The best role model of all time is Prophet Mohammed (pbuh). With research, I have learnt a lot from him. Honesty,
determination and patience are the key to success, along with the will of Allah. My father has also played an important role in my development.
11. What are the main distractions that tempt children away from education?
At times when I got distracted, it was mainly down to wanting to go out and have fun with friends. However, this is a problem that can be easily dealt with. Parents have to help regulate and get the balance, between work and play, right. Also, money has suddenly become such a big factor and deferrer from education. Youths suddenly feel they have to have money, which has led to increased robberies-and deaths on the streets.
12. What’s your advice to British Moroccan children?
My advice to young Moroccans out there is to listen and be respectful to their parents, a healthy environment in the home is key. My advice is that they should focus on their education, and take a long term stance to life. Work hard now, relax in the future.
13. Are there any educational websites you would recommend?
There is one website which I found extremely useful in helping me revise for my A-level subjects, Economics and also Politics, it is called www.tutor2u.net. It has revision notes as well as presentations.
14. How do you spend your spare time?
Just like any 17 year old, I enjoy going out with friends and family. However, I also enjoy doing extra research, especially in the economical and political field. Increasing my understanding and developing thinking and debating skills is also something I enjoy.
15. What do you think of our forum, Lhadra3lik.com?
I think it is a good site and something the Moroccan community needs. Hopefully, with some work and support from the Moroccan community, it can become central in dealing with problems and promoting the positive aspects that, we, Moroccans bring.
Thank you for your time and best of luck!
Thank you for thinking of me.

Last edited by Aziz Samih on Sat May 30, 2009 3:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A 3rd- generation Moroccan to go to Oxford University   A 3rd- generation Moroccan to go to Oxford University Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 4:04 pm

Congratulations, to you Hesham
Back to top Go down
https://lhadra3lik.forumotion.com
3la Bal
Rank

PostSubject: Re: A 3rd- generation Moroccan to go to Oxford University   A 3rd- generation Moroccan to go to Oxford University Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 3:00 pm

Im very proud of youths like you. God bless you and I wish you a bright future.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A 3rd- generation Moroccan to go to Oxford University   A 3rd- generation Moroccan to go to Oxford University Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Lhadra 3lik Forum :: USEFUL LINKS :: A CAUSE FOR CELEBRATION!-
Jump to: